Daytime Cycles

Moretti

Donator
Helper
Script Suggestion

1. Name: Moretti
2. Date: 26/JUN/2020

3. What script function would you like to suggest?: Time Zones

4. How will your script function work?: A lot of servers relies on a single timezone. This is obviously great for those who are use to it. For example, if the server is based in Europe, most players in the US would play at night time and not experience any daytime.

I've overcome this before by adding in an increased time cycle, allowing two day cycles per real 24 hours.

This does get confusing with organizing events, so a server wide /time command would be added that would show a set time (Say UTC) and the current cycle time.

So, in essence, if you sat on the server for 24 hours in real life straight, you would experience two day and night cycles.

This will allow players to organize things for night and day role play, allowing those who can't spend hours on the server to enjoy both times.

5. Will this benefit the rest of the community?: Yes

6. Do you have any other relevant information?: No

brandon

Donator
Helper
I like the idea of this. A 6 hour day / night cycle still creates the effect of real time, but since we are in game generally everything is faster than real life regardless, so I think this is a nice touch, also allowing both sides of the world to experience both day and night respectively is a nice change.

+rep

(also GTA:O timecycles are 48min:1 day, so I imagine this wouldn't be a relatively difficult change)

Moretti

Donator
Helper
I like the idea of this. A 6 hour day / night cycle still creates the effect of real time, but since we are in game generally everything is faster than real life regardless, so I think this is a nice touch, also allowing both sides of the world to experience both day and night respectively is a nice change.

+rep

(also GTA:O timecycles are 48min:1 day, so I imagine this wouldn't be a relatively difficult change)
Do you mean 6 hours for day then 6 hours for night? I feel that if you meant 3 hours for each, that would be too short for any in-depth roleplay.

brandon

Donator
Helper
Do you mean 6 hours for day then 6 hours for night? I feel that if you meant 3 hours for each, that would be too short for any in-depth roleplay.
Yes in your OP, 2 day / night cycles in a 24 hour period would result in 6 hours for day and 6 hours for night, which is what I was alluding to. Agreeing that it's a great idea that isn't too short for normal RP to take place!

Moretti

Donator
Helper
Yes in your OP, 2 day / night cycles in a 24 hour period would result in 6 hours for day and 6 hours for night, which is what I was alluding to. Agreeing that it's a great idea that isn't too short for normal RP to take place!
Cool, just wanted to double check ;)

cradboard

Donator
Definitely would like to try this out. It's always a big conversation topic, no harm in trying it out.

Karner

Board Of Trustees
Donator
Weazel News
As much as I'd like to see this implemented I feel like there might be some issues. One is the data/times things happen. Do we make it so that the 30th of March happens twice? Or does the game time dilation quite literally double so Christmas comes twice an IRL year? It makes clerical work for factions that require it has a layer of "Okay when actually was that".

GreatCanadianGuy

Board Of Trustees
I have an alternate proposal to this suggestion, since I agree that players from all across the world should be able to experience both day/night RP.

What if, every month, the time was moved 12 Hrs. End of even months the clock goes ahead 12 Hrs, end of Odd months the clock falls back 12 Hrs.

This would alternate between daytime/nighttime experiences on a monthly basis for all players.

Moretti

Donator
Helper
I have an alternate proposal to this suggestion, since I agree that players from all across the world should be able to experience both day/night RP.

What if, every month, the time was moved 12 Hrs. End of even months the clock goes ahead 12 Hrs, end of Odd months the clock falls back 12 Hrs.

This would alternate between daytime/nighttime experiences on a monthly basis for all players.
Thats a good idea, however a lot can happen in a month. For example, if your wanting to do some type of roleplay that revolves around it being dark, you need to wait a lot longer.